WHAT IS NEW EDUCATION POLICY( NEP) :
The NEP, approved by union cabinet on 29 july 2020 outlines the vision of new education system .The new education policy replaces the 34 year old National policy on education, 1986. It is a complimentary framework for elementary education to higher education as well as vocational training in both rural and urban India. The policy aims to transform India ‘s education system by 2030.
HIGHLIGHTS OF NEP, 2020
• Single regulator for higher education institutions
• Multiple entry and exit options in degree courses
• Discontinuation of MPhil Programmes
• Low stake board exams
• Common entrance exams for universities
RECENT NEWS :
GOVT. INTERVENTION IN NEW EDUCATION POLICY SHOULD BE MININMAL
Prime Minister Modi, on Monday (7 sept) emphasized that the NEP belong to the whole country rather than to any particular government in power . The key focus of the inaugural session of governors ‘ conference on NEP was its implementations. It was attended by state education ministers and vice chancellors.
Prime Minister Modi ,mentioned that the education policy and the education system are important for all of us . It fulfills the aspirations of the country.
Giving the example of a foreign policy or defense policy, PM Modi explained, that just like it education policy is of our country and not of govt. He urged for a collective responsibility in its implementation.
Since, education is a concurrent subject , both center and state can make laws on it . PM Modi said that govt intervention should still be minimized and this NEP should be implemented in a way to provide for the betterment of our country.
Whenever we move towards a change, questions arise in the minds of people. So he asked the states to hold consultation with stakeholders by 25 September.
WHAT ALL NEEDS TO BE DISCUSSED
• Subject stream flexibility
• Curriculum design
• Availability of resources needed
• All other provisions IMPORTANCE
• Vision for new India for 21st century
• Transform country into ‘ knowledge economy
• Tackle the brain drain
• Prepare the youth for new jobs in this new pattern of work
• Focus on critical thinking
• Emphasis on vocational education